Inspections for Real Estate Resale
Why should I get a Septic System inspected for real estate resale?
Most mortgage companies require that the septic system be inspected prior to closing. Conscientious buyers usually want the septic system inspected to know it’s adequate and working properly since a replacement septic system could costs thousands of dollars.
Unfortunately, in some areas, inspections for septic systems are not regulated by any governing authority, therefore anyone can claim to be a “septic inspector” and perform any kind of septic inspection.
What should you look for in an inspector?
It’s important that you hire a reputable, qualified, experienced, and knowledgeable inspector that does a thorough detailed inspection. Find out what the inspection consists of. In our opinion, a “walk-over” inspection is not recommended because it’s usually not a thorough inspection.
Again, the purpose of an inspection should be to see if the septic system is functionally properly. Ask who is doing the actual inspection of the septic and ask for their credentials.
What we do during a septic system inspection:
- Inspect the inside/integrity of the tank. (the tank should be pumped out during inspection)
- Activate the pump and high water alarm (if applicable).
- Add water to all disposable fields and measure to make sure fields are taking on water, sufficiently.
- (i.e. roots, or blomat in field)
- Inspect ground surface of disposal fields.
- Check inspection ports in drain fields.
- Inspect for gray water discharge
- We give you a written report after the inspection
Affordable Pumping Services is here for all your septic inspection needs. Our qualified and knowledgeable inspectors can help you feel secure in your decision to purchase a new home. Call us today to set up your septic inspection or for more information!